General Triple Crown Fastpitch Tournament Rules*:
Effective January 1, 2020 Triple Crown will be using National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Softball rules with a few modifications that are listed below.
While the pitcher takes the signal, her stride foot may be on or behind the pitcher’s plate as far back as desired. Once the pitcher initially sets the toe of her stride foot, she CANNOT move it to increase the distance behind the pitcher’s plate. In addition, the pitcher must take or appear to take a signal while in the pitching and signal-taking positions.
All pitches including a pitchout must be legally pitched to the catcher and ball is live.
Any option listed below may be used:
Option 1: Straight nine- Those nine can play any position on defense without reporting to the umpire.
Option 2: DP/Flex- 10 players are listed on the line-up, but only 9 bat. The DP can bat for any player that you designate prior to the start of the game. That player is designated as the Flex and should be listed in the 10th spot on the line-up card. Any of the 10 players can play on defense.
Option 3: EH/EP- This gives you the option to bat 10 players and any 9 can play defense. This player can be placed anywhere in the line-up.
Option 4: DP/Flex and the EP/EH- This allows you to have 11 players listed on the lineup, only 10 will bat any 9 of these players can play defensively. The Flex is listed at the bottom of the lineup.
RUN RULES and GAMETIMES:
Run rules and game times used will be per the Event Director’s discretion. The run rules and game times being used will be listed for each event under the rules section of the event website
If you would like to order a NFHS Softball rule book you may do so by going to https://nfhs.com and selecting the 2020 Softball Rules Book. Triple Crown Sports DOES NOT receive any portion of the cost of the NFHS rule book, all proceeds go to NFHS.
Click here for a sample of lineups you can use during a game, if applicable.
(*Please note that each tournament and/or event may have its’ own set of rules, exceptions, and variations. Please see specific tournament details and rules below)
Triple Crown Pool Play Rules- Two-Way tie (Same Pool): 1. Win/Loss Record, 2. Head to Heat, 3. Total Run Differential, 4. Least Runs Allowed, 5. Most Runs Scored, 6. Last Actual Run Differential (LAD) 7. Coin Flip. Three-Way tie (Same Pool): 1. Total Run Differential, 2. Least Runs Allowed, 3. Most Runs Scored, 4. Last Actual Run Differential (LAD), 5. Coin Flip. IMPORTANT: 1. Maximum Run Spread per game is 7, regardless of score, 2. Forfeits will be scored 7-0.
Any player who has played on a college roster (JUCO, NAIA, NCAA) or has completed college coursework after high school, is NOT eligible to play in this event.
2020 Triple Crown Sports Colorado Sparkler/Fireworks Invitational Rules USA Rules apply with the following exceptions:
1) TIME LIMIT – Clock starts at the end of the pre-game meeting at home plate between coaches and umpires. No new inning after 1 hour and 45 minutes or 7 innings. Game time kept by field umpires. A new inning starts with the 3rd out of the previous inning. Umpires will keep games moving to help get 7 innings in when possible. Please cooperate and keep the players moving. This is key for us to stay on time.
2) RUN RULE – 8 runs after 5 innings in pool play. For elimination play the run-rule will be 8 runs after 5 innings.
3) INTERNATIONAL TIE-BREAKER- For elimination games and box bracket pool: games that are tied at the end of the time limit or 7 innings, the batter who bats last in the inning will be placed at 2nd base.
4) WARM-UPS (a) Pitchers warming up for games in action should go down the outfield fence past the 200’ outfield fence (home run fence). DO NOT warm up outside the perimeter fence behind the dugouts, where spectators gather. (b) Catchers (players) must wear a mask when warming up pitchers at all times. (c) Infield warm-up IS NOT ALLOWED. (d) Teams warming up for the next game MUST warm up behind the green (home run) fence and be ready to start the next game immediately at the conclusion of the present games, regardless of the scheduled time. Maximum early start will be 15 minutes.
5) HOME TEAM- Coin flip at the home plate conference will decide the home team. The team listed first in pool play or on the top of the bracket will occupy the 3rd base dugout (unless a back-to-back team already occupies a dugout). At the home plate conference a copy of the lineup will be given to the plate umpire (this is the official copy). Home team is the official scorer. Both teams are responsible for bringing scorecards back to the field supervisor. Failure to return scorecards immediately after conclusion of the game is grounds for game forfeiture or ejection from the tournament.
6) PROTESTS- This is a non-protest tournament.
7) FORMAT- the TD reserves the right to change the format and the guaranteed number of games, if necessary. All efforts will be made to finish the tournament. After playing four games there will be no refunds. In case of changes the team has the responsibility to find out what changes have been made. Sign up for updates on Tourney Machine to receive up to date information on schedule changes.
8) FORFEIT TIME- Game time is forfeit time unless a team is held up by a late running game. Then the team will have 10 minutes to change fields. Note: Rule #4, game time may start 15 minutes early.
9) DUGOUTS- Please leave immediately as there is another team waiting to get in. No smoking in the dugouts. Only players, coaches, scorekeepers and bat-girls are allowed in the dugout.
10) UNSPORTSMAN-LIKE BEHAVIORS- Any player or coach ejected any time during the tournament will also be ejected for the next game. Any player, coach or fan displaying said behavior will subject themselves and/or their team to suspension from the game and/or forfeit the game/tournament. This could also prevent the team from future participation in the tournament.
11) SOFTBALLS- The tournament will provide balls. We will use a ball rotation system. Please help us return balls at the end of each game.
12) SAFETY- No glass containers and no alcohol are allowed at the tournament. Dogs are not allowed in the complex by city ordinance. No person/s other than teams are permitted anywhere inside the fenced field area or behind the white fence. NO EXCEPTIONS!
13) PARTICIPATION- You participate in or attend this event at your own risk and will not hold Triple Crown Sports, Aurora Parks & Recreation, the City of Aurora, the umpires or anyone else responsible for injury. All teams have indicated they have insurance for these situations and have signed a release of liability.
14) Rosters: Rosters are frozen once play begins. No player is allowed to play on more than one roster in Sparkler, Fireworks or Sparkler Juniors or any combination of the above. Violation of this rule we result in immediate removal of the player from the event.
15) We adhere to all City/Municipality Parks and Recreation rules.